Monday 22 September 2008

Cold neon...

I thought about that lethal construction of steel as the cold neon lights of the city night came at me through the haze of filthy water. They promised me girls and booze: the age-old pleasures of every man before me throughout the aeons of time. And yeah, I wanted them, I wanted them bad. God, it had been so long since…

Fortune would have it that I was a smart guy in a dumb city and knew that if I fell into the temptations that it offered, it was only going to throw up a whole host of other problems I didn’t want to be dealing with. Not now, not ever.

I had work to do.

There was a particular light I was searching for on this particular evening. It was one of the more colourful ones, in name and image. Yellow, blue and green tubes marked out the shape of a tropical island and palm tree; its name emblazoned in seedy red.

The Paradise Club.

There was no choice but to head on in…

No comments: